Nashville Indiana, and surrounding Brown County, is an area with a rich history as an art community. The Brown County Studio Tour is a community of artists who come together each year in the month of October, seeking to create an experience for each other and our visitors every year. Each year, from October 1st through 31st, artists open their studios as part of a self-guided driving art tour and welcome visitors from all over the country.
The Brown County Studio Tour (BRST) is truly a team effort, and all the artists contribute to make it the best possible experience for each other and our visitors each year. If you are an artist residing in Brown County Indiana and would like to join this endeavor, we invite you to fill out an application. Or, if you are an artist that has work on display at a gallery or other BC studio, but do not live or have a studio in Brown County, you are welcome to sign up as a guest artist and we will help you find a studio to display and sell your work (see guest artist guidelines).
Below you will find a brief introduction to some of the foundational commitments the artists make in order to ensure success for everyone who participates. These are intended to help you determine your fit as part of our artist community.
As part of your application process, you will also be asked to read carefully and sign the detailed guidelines that help each of us create a successful tour for each other and our visitors. But to get you started we have listed a few of the essentials below to help you determine your fit as part of our artist community.
We look forward to seeing your work and welcoming you to The Brown County Studio Tour. If you should have any questions during your application, or find yourself in need of help with any part of the process, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- BRST artists and their studios are required to be located in a rural area of Brown County, Indiana. And, must be first and foremost a studio and not a retail or other shop/store.
- Participating artists should have experience in their medium/area of expertise for 2 or more years.
- Guest artists who display at a resident artists studio are required to abide by the same standards for creating and displaying art as resident studio artists.
- For consistency and accommodation of our visitors; studios are required to be open 10:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday (with exception for those who do not wish to be open on Sunday’s).
- BRST holds 4 meetings and 1 social gathering/celebration each year for artists and guest artists. Attendance at these meetings helps us support one another and creates continuity for the tour. At least 3 of these 4 meetings are required for participation.
- While the responsibility for marketing falls on the BRST leadership team (board of directors), artist participation in marketing; (i.e. posting on social media or personal web sites, handing out brochures, making invitation during art shows, inviting friends and family, etc.) is really helpful for the overall health of the tour. We strongly encourage and support all artist participating in the marketing efforts.